A company or individuals wishing to know more about the Entrepreneurship Program are encouraged to enter into informal discussion with Director of Entrepreneurship Center as early as possible. Formal application to enter the HKUST Entrepreneurship Program should be made to the Vice-President for Research and Graduate Studies, by means of the application form.
The information provided is intended to allow the University to evaluate the activities and opportunities of the new venture. In addition to completing this one-page form, applicants should submit a brief Business Plan. The VPRG may convene a meeting of a review committee, at which the proponent(s) will be invited to make a brief presentation on the new venture. The VPRG will endeavour to provide a response to the proponent(s) within 30 days of submission of the application.
The eligibility criteria for a company to be accepted into the Entrepreneurship Program are:
- it must have a primary focus on technology in its products or services
- it must have been established for no more than 3 years at the time of application
- it must be registered in Hong Kong
- it must be owned at least 10% by a member of faculty, staff or student of HKUST (past or present)
Upon acceptance into the HKUST Entrepreneurship Program, the proponent(s) will be offered an Agreement specifying:
- space, its cost and period of rental
- services to be provided by the Entrepreneurship Center
- the terms and conditions of the Program
- the ownership share given to the RandD Corp, and the resulting rights and obligations acquired by the RandD Corp in the affairs of the company
- any special agreement relating to University IP/technology, services, etc.
Upon signature both by the appropriate company officers and by the VPRG on behalf of the University, the company will be given and may use the designation "HKUST Technology Venture". Any member of the University who owns at least 10% of the new venture at time of approval can be designated an "HKUST Entrepreneur".